Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Adjusting to working outside the home

This 'mom working full time' I have to admit, is a huge new adjustment for our family. It has been an adjustment for the kids (all 5) to pitch in and do their part with chores and such, as well as for my DH to have to pick up more of the slack of me not being around so much. Our house has also taken on an adjustment of it's own, as well.... it's a constant mess anymore. (Not that I have ever been the super clean type momma, but there are limits to acceptable levels of dirt, you know?) Lately, I have learned an all new respect for those working moms out there, now being one of the ranks. Don't misunderstand me,I have always had a respect for them anyway, but this gives new meaning to me. It's an incredible challenge to try to get everyone out the door in the morning, lunches in hand and homework at the ready. (The more accurate description would have to be "in something that won't have social services clammering to my door to ask why my children's faces are dirty and they have 3 twinkies, 2 grapes and a lollipop from Halloween for their lunch and their homework still sitting on the kitchen counter".) I have a new respect for those moms who can still find time to get a shower, manage to still coupon, get nutritious dinners on the table and still have a small shred of sanity. Not to mention those moms who also hold down their jobs at church!
I won't even get into the single mom thing. (Been there, but not as a working mom full time outside the home as well.... those moms deserve a medal of honor and comondation from the president! Although, they would probably prefer a vacation in Tahiti san the kids.....
I watched as a co-worker had to quickly leave today for a family emergency at the hospital. My heart went out to her, and it made me thankful. I know this adjustment means I have less time to read email, less time to do the things I would like to do for myself, and my family, less time with them in general. But, I am grateful that I can at least come home to them every day. I think of that as I drive home at night. I may be away from them every day for nearly all day, but I do get to see them at the end of the day, and that makes me feel very grateful.
So, even if they do have 3 twinkies in their lunch, even if the homeroom teacher must think I don't have a lick of fashion sense, even if my house looks like a tornado blew through it months ago and FEMA refused to help.... even if my DH makes Hamburger Helper for dinner becuase we have all of 3 minutes to eat before dashing out to night school and cub scouts.... it's mine.
It'll give the kids something to discuss in therapy when they are older. Right?

1 comment:

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

You are amazing! You are a great mom of an awesome family! You are doing so much. Some things just have to go, huh? There isn't time for everything! Keep up the good work!